Easter with Pets
Easter is one of my favourite times of year. The mornings are a little more fresh, but the days are lovely. You are underway into the new year, and here are the first School Holidays.
A great time for Family, Friends .. and our beloved Pets.
I encourage you to check out my earlier blog about routine changes as holidays are the opposite of spectrum but equally challenging for preventing pets becoming stressed from such a change in routine. The upside is that you get more time with your pet :-).
If I asked most of our clients they would be aware that they have heard that Chocolate isn't good for dogs, but very few of them know why. And just as with dogs, Chocolate isn't good for cats either. Difference is that nearly ALL Dogs would eat chocolate if given half a chance, and cats would not. It is important that you don't give them the chance though as Chocolate can be Lethal!
The answer as to why it is so dangerous lies with the cocoa component Theobromine. The higher the content of Cocoa, the more Theobromine it contains i.e. usually darker chocolate contains more cocoa and therefore more Theobromine.
Theobromine causes abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and could cause death. Seems like a high risk for a treat! Why not check out pet Carob drops available in The Pet House? They are safe, taste very similar (yes ... I've tried them), and is the best substitute.
Furthermore, chocolate can also contain high levels of Sugar (really?) and caffeine - so all-round, please keep it away from pets. Not even a small amount is truly safe.
Other matters of Holidays with Pets ... we would encourage you to take this opportunity of holidays, spare time, and of cooling weather to check the following pet related areas:
- Check heated Aquariums that the heater is working correctly and set to an appropriate temperature.
- Check reptile heating is going to reach desired temperatures given that the ambient is cooling.
- Pet bedding should be suitable for the more chilly nights - pets laying on cool floors will age joints more quickly and can lead to discomfort.
- Feed portions - many pets (dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles) condition for the impending cool of Winter, so consider the options for conditioning for winter - we can give specific advice on this, so come in for a chat.
- Winter clothing is not too far away - maybe start to look at what is available and what design is going to work best for your breed.
- Have you got the right advice for fur coat conditioning for winter - it is total myth that a longer coat is better for warmth unless you are going to help maintain it. A badly conditioned coat will lead to a hefty grooming bill and can cause consierable pain for your pet - if you need to, call us 0243655040 and discuss this further with our groomer.
We sincerely hope you all have a wonderful Easter and stay safe.
Please keep your pets safe too and away from Chocolate - and use the opportunity to check that other things are in place for the winter that is not too far away.
The Pet Whisperer.